What’s The Most Well-Funded Technology Startup In Your State?
A new map released by CB Insights identifies the most well-funded venture capital-backed technology startup in each state based on disclosed equity funding.
The map includes companies in all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C. Four states – Mississippi, Alaska, North Dakota and South Dakota – did not meet CB Insights’ criteria, so the report includes the most well-funded private technology companies since 2015 in those four states.
Here are some key takeaways:
Most Well-Funded Startup
- California-based Uber is the most well-funded startup on the map with $12.5 billion of funding to date
- There are nine “unicorns” (companies valued at $1 billion or more) that are also the most well-funded startup in their respective state: Uber (CA), Datto (CT), Magic Leap (FL), GreenSky (GA), Avant (IL), DraftKings (MA), Infor (NY), Domo (UT), and Vox Media (Washington, D.C.).
Companies That Raised At Least $1 Billion in Equity Funding
- There are seven companies on the list that have raised $1 billion or more in disclosed equity funding to date. These companies include, among others, OneWeb (VA), Infor (NY) and IO (AZ).
Companies That Raised At Least $1 Billion In Equity Funding In A Single Funding Round
- Companies that have (at least once) raised $1 billion or more in one round of funding include, among others, Uber (CA), OneWeb (VA) and Infor (NY).
Companies That Raised More Than $100 Million in Equity Funding
- There are 20 companies that have raised $100 million or more in disclosed equity funding to date.
Companies That Raised Less Than $50 Million In Equity Funding
- There are 17 companies that have raised less than $50 million, including Zlien (LA) and Hobnob (Hawaii)
Here is the full list of companies and their accompanying states, including Washington, D.C.:
Every Unicorn In The U.S.
In December, CB Insights also released a map that includes every unicorn in the U.S.. The key takeaways from that map include:
- The U.S. has 98 unicorns.
- Collectively, U.S. unicorns are worth approximately $372 billion.
- Collectively, these companies have raised over $67 billion.
- As of December 2016, there are nine private U.S. companies valued over $10 billion.
- As of December 2016, the three most valuable unicorns in the U.S. are Uber ($68 billion), Airbnb ($30 billion) and Palantir Technologies ($20 billion). These three companies are all located in California.
- California has more unicorns than any other state, followed by New York and Massachusetts.
- Ten other states have at least one company valued at $1 billion or higher.
- The top five most well-funded U.S. unicorns are: Uber, Airbnb, Infor, Snap and Palantir. (Snap has since filed for an initial public offering). All these companies – except Infor – are based in California.
- The newest unicorn in the U.S. is a travel tech company, JetSmarter, which became a unicorn in December 2016.
- The oldest unicorn in the U.S. is a greentech company, Bloom Energy, which reached a valuation above $1 billion in 2009.
- The three most active venture capital investors in U.S.-based unicorns, by total number of deals, are: Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz and Khosla Ventures.
This story was also published in Forbes.